- Internationally trained (AmSTAT) Alexander Teacher, certified 1999
- 18 years continuous full-time teaching experience
- Assistant Director of Alexander Training Centre Galway since 2006-2018
- Team-member at Evie Antenatal Care – preparation for life, Beacon Hospital Dublin
- Currently Tutor at Trinity’s Drama Dep. ‘The Lir Academy’
- She has her private practice in Dublin 2
- Experience working with people of all ages, incl. business executives, office workers, actors, musicians, educators, health-care workers, pregnant women and more.
- She has taught many workshops and courses and has given educational talks.
“I’m passionate about the transformative power of the Alexander Technique to release stress in body and mind. I guide my students in unlearning the patterns of habitual tension that cause pain and strain, leading to improved neuro-muscular coordination (that’s the way you move and think) for poise and ease in every activity. Whether you are a business person, gardener, competitive cyclist, performer, carer or all the above and more, the Alexander Technique can help you to do what you love with more strength, flexibility, ease, presence and resilience.”
We might be tempted to think that unease and tension are inevitable parts of modern life. That is not the case. Our behaviour, emotions and reactions to life are our choice and therefore changeable. In the workshop series you’ll learn new self-care skills, learning to recognise your usual reactions to the stresses of life, improve posture, balance and reduce strain in everyday activities.
Pregnancy & Alexander Technique
Back Pain Relief for Pregnancy & Postpartum
Thursdays 8 pm – 9.15pm
1st November – 29th November
Cost incl. all €130 for 5 wk course
Bookings via email or 087 755 6558
This 5-week course will help each individual to learn body awareness and find natural alignment and poise.
- Relieve Pain & Stress
- Adjust your alignment with your changing body
- Allowing for easier breathing
- Simple mindful skills you can apply to your daily life as well as guided relaxation
- work at home and labor preparation
- You will come away with some new tools for your self-care practice.
More info: www.alextec.net/current-workshops/
Pregnancy – Adjusting to the Bump
I love working with pregnant women. During pregnancy, a woman’s body is changing rapidly. It’s important to develop good habits early on to help avoid back pain.
I help women to strengthen their back and to find balance and ease, both physically and emotionally. We do a lot of work with bending to learn how to support the back properly both during pregnancy and when the baby arrives. I also have ways to show how not to arch the back which is a common posture during pregnancy.
We look at preparing for labour and getting ready for when the baby comes, being back and neck aware. One thing I focus on is the quality of touch so that the touch is supportive and not adding to tension.
It’s best to start as early as possibly – ideally from 3 months.
Adjusting to the Baby
There’s so much to adjust to when a new baby comes into the world, that mums (and dads/partners) can forget to think about their own bodies. And this can cause havoc with their backs.
It can also be quite stressful and emotional.
In 5 week workshop, we can look at a range of practical activities such as:
- bending and avoiding back ache: over the pram, cot, bath, changing mat
- breastfeeding without straining your back and neck
- sitting comfortably when playing with the kids on the floor
- carrying your baby without arching the back
- using baby car seats without damaging your back
- how to find calm and reduce anxiety.
Included is a ‘Guided Talk-Through’ audio and a weekly text message to enhance your learning curve. You’ll leave with a self-care skill you then can use anytime and anywhere.
What people have to say:
“The Alexander Technique was immensely helpful during pregnancy and labour and is invaluable to me as the mother of a one-year-old.”
– Ashling Smith – Pianist & Painter
“I used to think ‘How could ‘good posture’ be good for you?’ … when it was so uncomfortable and led inevitably to slumping? I know that truly good posture is actually pretty effortless.”
– David Barnes, PhD student
“I found the Alexander Technique a great help to improve my posture and release back and neck pain. I was thrilled to find such an experienced teacher as Michaela. I’ve been learning to breath correctly and I am thrilled that now I can use it to release trapped emotions and positively effect my inner state of being.”
– Susan S., Psychotherapist